Wednesday, November 2, 2011

November 2: The Scriptures

November 2 – Ether 12:6
And now, I Moroni, would speak somewhat concerning these things; I would show unto the world that faith is things which are hoped for and not seen; wherefore, dispute not because ye see not, for ye receive no witness until after the trial of your faith.”
Today I’m thankful for the scriptures, especially the Book of Mormon. A lot of times I don’t realize the powerful effect they have on my life. Lately I’ve been struggling with knowing what to do with my life. At times I feel so behind in life, and kinda stuck. For a while it seemed like everyone my age was getting married. Then it was everyone younger than me getting married. Now everyone’s having kids, and I’m just here, me, by myself as usual. It especially doesn’t help that I turn 23 on Sunday. To be an LDS girl in Utah who’s 23 and unmarried is a little weird. I’m going to be honest; I thought I’d be married by now. I thought for sure I’d at least have kissed a boy. Fail.
Every time I get discouraged, it always seems to come back to patience and faith. Earlier this week when I was reading in Ether I came across verse six in chapter 12. The last line in particular stuck out to me, ‘for ye receive no witness until after the trial of your faith.’ For some reason I never thought this would be a trial in my life, but it is. A lot of my friends tell me how awesome I am, that I don’t put up with crap from guys and don’t have to go through bad relationships because I know what I want, and am willing to wait for it. To me it just seems that guys are never interested in me. I mean, I’ve never been on more than five dates with one boy, and that was even over a period of three years. I guess I haven’t mastered the art of patience yet, and nothing will happen until after my faith has been tried. I try to not get down about it, but sometimes it’s so frustrating I can’t help but doubt. I then feel guilty for feeling sorry for myself, when I have so many blessings I can’t even count them all. There are so many less fortunate people than me, who am I to complain? I’m so very thankful for a loving Father in Heaven who has so much patience and trust in me. I’m sure he gets sick of my constant complaining to him about the subject. I know he has something great planned for me; I’m just not very good at being patient. 
3 Nephi 14:11 “If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father who is in Heaven give good things unto them that ask him?”
I’m a firm believe that Heavenly Father loves us more than we can ever comprehend with our mortal minds. He would never let us see something we want so badly (as long as we’re righteous), and not let us have it. He wants to bless us and give us everything we want. He either has something much better in store for us or something just as good, the timing just isn’t right. After all, we might only want a cottage, but He wants us to have a Palace. I have to remind myself of this all the time, especially regarding boys. It seems all the boys in my life are so dumb, it’s ridiculous. Once again, I’m so very grateful for the scriptures and the comfort they give me, even if it’s not exactly what I want to heart at the time.

2 comments:

  1. Michelle, I just wanted to tell you that I loved this post! After all of the posts that I've posted and the discussions that we've had, I know that the words you put here have helped me with my issues on dating.

    I especially like the part where your friends have said that you don't have to go through bad relationships because you know what you want, and you are willing to wait for it. What wonderful inspiration that is! I love it.

    I think you are amazing and I can't wait to meet the guy you fall in love with, because I know he'll be just as amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I couldn't remember what I wanted to post last night...but I still wanted to say something. :)

    ReplyDelete