Sunday, June 19, 2011

Weekend Adventures

Is it horrible that I don't leave for a week, yet I want to start packing already? Maybe I'm a little bit excited . . . . I'm also a compulsive list maker. I'm pretty sure I make lists for everything in my life.  Does anyone else feel super accomplished when they cross something off? When you make a packing list you get to cross tons of things off, which could be why I like doing it so much :) It's also how I don't forget anything.

I got to Skye with Mark on Friday! It was so good to actually be able to see and hear him.  It was Saturday morning for him, and Friday night for me. He told me all about Armenia, and showed me his super awesome hotel room. The bathroom was huge! Someday I'll go to Europe :)  He kinda made fun of me for my lack of social life.  Eh, I could be more social if I chose to, but I've actually been accomplishing a lot, which is good.  I get to seem him next Tuesday, which I'm so excited about.

Friday I went with my mom and aunt to Park City. The resort we stayed at was super nice and fancy, but our room was so tiny! I'm pretty sure our living area was the size of Mark's hotel bathroom.  They also had the noisiest sheets ever! I swear you move the tiniest bit and it's ridiculously loud. 


We didn't have any strict schedules, which was nice.  We sat in the hot tub and did a lot of shopping.  Originally we were supposed to pick Steph up Friday afternoon, but her flight was canceled, so we had to pick her up Sunday at 12:15am - more on that later.  We found quite a few good deals at the outlet stores.  For fun we took the opposite way home, through Heber and down Provo canyon.  We then went to Ikea, which is always a bit of a long stop.  I did get a new wavy mirror since my last one broke and became a dangerous weapon.  I also got a rolling pin! This is big for me.  For the past two years we've been using a Pam can. Yay for inventive college students! We then went to my aunt's and just hung out until Steph's flight got it.

So I just had a huge story about Steph's flight, and I hit publish, and nothing happened. I'm a little upset with you blogger, for you only saved 1/3 of my post. booo!

Originally Steph and Elina were supposed to leave Japan at 5:30 their time on Friday, and arrive at 4:08pm Friday our time.  They booked Elina a two-way flight because it's cheaper than a one-way (stupid, I know). The booked it from SLC, to Osaka, and back to SLC. Sadly they didn't realize that if you miss the first part of your flight, they cancel the rest, so Elina's flight back was canceled.  After several angry calls to Delta, they 'did the best they could' (voice dripping with sarcasm), and they only charged her $550 more to get on a flight next week.  After realizing that was all they were going to do, they took Steph to the airport Friday afternoon.  Steph ended up spending 9 hours at the airport after her flight was delayed and then canceled for mechanical problems.  After waiting forever they bused her to a hotel for the night.  The next day she found out her schedule to get home: a flight at 5:50 pm to Tokyo, followed by a 5 1/2 hour layover.  Leave Tokyo at 12:30 am, and arrive in LA at 7 pm Saturday.  After another 2 hour layover, she'd arrive in SLC at 12:15 am on Sunday.  3 days of traveling! Elina's mom called and yelled at Delta, and tried to get them to put her on a direct flight from Tokyo to SLC which had open seats.  They refused, so Steph had quite the adventure getting home. She swears she's never flying again, and certainly never with Delta. I'm flying with them next week, well shoot!  My dad made a good point about their customer service.  He said when their company causes a problem for a customer, they pull out all the stops they can to make it up to the customer.  Delta in no way did this.  They gave her one food voucher, but she had to pay for the rest of her food, not to mention the additions to her phone bill figuring it all out.  Needless to say Delta has the WORST customer service I've ever seen. If at all possible, avoid flying with them, because they will do absolutely nothing to help you, even if something's their fault. She didn't even have it the worst. There was a group of college students from Ohio state that kind of adopted Steph throughout all this.  These kids flew from Osaka to Tokyo, then to LA, then to Atlanta, and finally to Ohio, where they arrived at midday on Sunday.  Originally they didn't even have them ending up in Ohio! Quite ridiculous, I must say.  Steph's now home, and she's never been so happy to touch American soil :) We finally made it home at 3am.  She did make some hilarious v-logs while stranded, so I'll have to post one here.

Today Steph gave us all our souvenirs. She got me a gorgeous fan and picture frame for my room.

 We also went to our friend Brady's homecoming talk, which was really nice.  We then had an awesome steak dinner for Father's Day.  Can I just say I have the best Dad in the world? I really do. He's one of the most charitable people I know, and he's so modest about it.  He just does stuff for people, and hates it when people notice.  He works hard all the time, and I swear he knows everything.  He can fix or make anything, which is definitely a quality I'd like in my future husband.  He's always so supportive of everything we do, and he truly cares.  He's not big with using words to express how he feels, but you always know.  We laugh all the time, and he's such a dork and I love it.  Thanks Dad, for being amazing at everything you do. I love you so much, and I'm so eternally grateful that you're my Dad.

Blogger's currently taking forever and a day to upload anything, so I'll add pictures tomorrow after work. It'll be another fun filled adventure at the front desk, so we'll see what interesting things happen with that.

1 comment: