Thursday, March 31, 2011

Opportunity

I meant to blog about this week's FHE on Monday, but it didn't happen, so I'll do it now.  Mark and Rachel are my FHE 'parents'.  I must say they're amazing.  Seriously, a couple of times they've given a lesson that's exactly what I needed to hear. 

This isn't the best picture of either of them, but I didn't want anyone else in it.  I seriously love these two, and I admire them and look up to them so much.

This week we were at the Bishop's house.  They gave a lesson on opportunity, and not being passive in life.  It kind of was a smack in the face, I know it was meant for me.  It was seriously exactly what I needed to hear.  I think my biggest problem with opportunity is fear.  I get so comfortable with where I am, that change terrifies me.  I like my life, so why change?  But if I don't ever change, I can't grow.  This life is all about progressing, and even though it's scary at times, with God we can do anything.

This is the handout they gave us at FHE:
 Opportunity
Determine your situations - don't let them determine you
  • Do not allow yourself to let life's great journeys and lessons pass by because of slothfulness
    - Be productive and let every day be a witness of your work
  • Do not allow yourself to miss out on what life has to offer you
    - Educate yourself about what is available to you
  • Do not allow excuses for life's mishaps and injustices consume you
    - Be true to who you are and be honest with yourself
  • Do not allow excuses to limit you, instead eliminate your excuses
    - Do those things that seem impossible in the moment
"... live the commandments.  Do what is right.  Take advantage of this great opportunity in your life to live it well, to be good, to have good works, and to influence other people for good." - Elder David B. Haight

Allow the Atonement of Christ to PERFECT and HEAL you in Every circumstance you find yourself in.


I can't wait for General Conference this weekend.  I've been praying for some specific things lately, and I know that Conference will be super helpful.  Personal Revelation is an amazing gift.  I LOVE the gospel SOOOOOO much.

1 comment:

  1. Oh man, I think you and I might be having the same issue... ish. :) Well, I dunno since we haven't had a good chat for a while. BUT... (said in a very kid history-esque voice)... In my institute class yesterday, Bro Jacobs shared a scripture that kind of hit me in de face. It was John 10:10, and Christ says, "I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly." Then he talked about what "more abundantly" means. Yeah... Serious soul searching!

    ReplyDelete