Monday, October 8, 2012

Awkward First Date Questions

There are some questions that really shouldn't be asked on a first date. "Why aren't you married yet?" is definitely one of them. Not only is it awkward for the person being asked the question, I also find it a little rude. Marrying young is a fairly common thing in Utah, but that doesn't mean that everyone wants to get married at 19 or is supposed to. The fact that I'm 23 and not married also doesn't make me a marriage hater. Quite the opposite really - I think marriage is fantastic. It's just not something that has happened in my life yet. Marriage is all supposed to be in the Lord's time. The guy that asked me why I wasn't married yet also asked me if I had a deadline of when I want to get married. I told him it was just my goal to not be in the over 30 singles ward. To be honest with myself I would like to be married by 25, which is getting closer all the time. The thing with setting a deadline to be married is that I don't really have much control over it, and if I don't hit the deadline what am I supposed to do? Hate life because I'm not married yet? Well that won't be much fun at all.

I'm pretty sure that the guy that asked me that question on our first date found it weird that I wasn't married yet. He told me all the girls he knows who aren't married are about 19. I told him he needed to stop hanging out with Freshman. I know tons of girls who are over the age of 21 and not married. Out of the four girls in my apartment three of us are at least 22. I also have three former roommates who are 23 and on missions. My friends Rachelle and Jessie are also both 23, and my sister is 22. There is nothing wrong with us because we're not married, and we certainly don't hate marriage. The Lord has an individual plan for each of  us, and we just need to have faith in Him and His timing.
This lovely quote was made by the fabulous Elise over at Elise's Pieces . Check out her blog, she's awesome :)

While I may wonder when I am going to get married, I've had a lot of fun being single and I intend to keep having fun. What's the point of sitting around wishing I was married? That's definitely not going to make anyone want to ask me out, hahaha. And while this date I went on was okay, I really felt like I was in a personal interview for a wife. Awkward. So guys, when you're on a first date with a girl, don't ask her why she's not married yet. You'll basically kill your chances with her.

1 comment:

  1. A-freaking-men. I kind of have that same goal. But seeing as how 24 is just 10 days away for me, and that 25 is 375, I think I'm just going to have to love the singleness that is given to me until further notice! Who knew, right? All the same, I'm still glad we have each other, haha

    ReplyDelete